Thursday, April 7, 2016

Holy Week - Part II (Maundy Thursday)


*Note: the underlined words are links to recordings of these lyrics. In many cases, I've found that the well crafted harmonies carry the lyrics deeper, and it's been well worth my time to stop, listen and let the words take root.*



Seven Last Words of Christ - Haydn (Largo)
"Father Forgive them, for they know not what they do"

--

Come, Christians follow where our Savior trod, 
Our King victorious, Christ the Son of God

--

"Almighty God, to you all hearts are open, all desires known, and from you no secrets are hid: Cleanse the thoughts of our hearts by the inspiration of your Holy Spirit, that we may perfectly love you, and worthily magnify your holy name; through Christ our Lord."

--


Kyrie eleison, Christe eleison,
Kyrie eleison

--

Exodus 12:13-14
"The blood shall be a sign for you, on the houses where you are. And when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and no plague will befall you to destroy you, when I strike the land of Egypt.  This day shall be for you a memorial day, and you shall keep it as a feast to the Lord; throughout your generations, as a statute forever, you shall keep it as a feast."

--

Psalm 78:14-25
He led them with a cloud by day, and all the night through with a glow of fire.
He split the hard rocks in the wilderness and gave them drink as from the great deep.
He brought streams out of the cliff, and the waters gushed out like rivers.

But they went on sinning against him, rebelling in the desert against the Most High.
They tested God in their hearts, demanding food for their craving.
They railed against God and said, "Can God set a table in the wilderness?"
"True, he struck the rock, the waters gushed out, and the gullies overflowed;
but is he able to give bread or to provide meat for his people?"

When the Lord heard this, he was full of wrath;
a fire was kindled against Jacob,
and his anger mounted against Israel;

For they had no faith in God, nor did they put their trust in his saving power.
So he commanded the clouds above and opened the doors of heaven.
He rained down manna upon them to eat and gave them grain from heaven.
So mortals ate the bread of angels; he provided for them food enough.

--

I Corinthians 11:23-26
...The Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread,
 and when he had given thanks, 
he broke it, and said
"This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of Me."
In the same way he took the cup, after supper, saying, 
"This cup is the new covenant in my blood,
Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me." 
For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till he comes."

--

Now, My Tongue, the Mystery Telling
(Set to Pange Lingua)

Now, my tongue, the mystery telling 
of the glorious Body sing, 
and the Blood, all price excelling,
which the Gentiles' Lord and King,
once on earth among us dwelling,
shed for this world's ransoming.

Word made flesh, the bread he taketh,
by his word his Flesh to be;
wine his sacred Blood he maketh, 
though the sense fail to see;
faith alone the true heart waketh,
to behold the mystery.

There we, before him bending, 
this great Sacrament revere;
types and shadows have their ending,
for the newer rite is here;
faith, our outward sense befriending,
makes our inward vision clear. 

--

John 13:12-15
When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, 
"Do you understand what I have done to you? 
You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am.
If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, 
you also ought to wash one another's feet. 
For I have given you an example, that you also should do just as I have done to you." 

--


(I could do well to listen to this every day of my life, meditating on the verses below as I do)

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. 
(John 14:27)

--

Let us break bread together on our knees

When I fall on my knees
With my face to the rising sun
O Lord, have mercy on me.

Let us praise God together on our knees
Let us praise God together on our knees

--

Bread of Life 

Through deserts you lead us, 
Where hunger consumes us,
To test what is in our heart

In deserts you feed us, 
Your table spreads for us,
So we know that you provide

Your body was broken,
The true bread of heave, 
You starved so we might have life.

True food for true hunger,
With no price is offered
Those who eat shall never die

Not by bread, but in you,
We feast and we're made new,
Day by day, now and always.

Your storehouse - unsparing
Abundant, unending-
You never turn us away. 

--


My song is love unknown, my Saviors love for me; 
love to the loveless that they might lovely be:
but who am I, that for my sake my Lord should take frail flesh and die

Sometimes they crowd his way and his sweet praises sing, 
resounding all the day hosannas to their king:
then 'crucify' is all their breath and for his death they thirst and cry. 

They rise, and they must have my dear Lord done away;
a murderer they save, the prince of life they slay!
Yet willingly, to shame he goes that he his foes, from this, might free.

Here might I stay and sing of him my soul adores;
never was love, dear King, never was grief like yours!
This is my friend in whose sweet praise I all my days could gladly spend. 

--


To Mock Your reign, O Dearest Lord, they made a crown of thorns;
set you with taunts along that road from which no one returns.
They did not know, as we do now, that glorious is your crown;
that thorns would flower upon your brow, your sorrows heal our own

In mock acclaim, O gracious Lord, they snatched a purple cloak,
your passion turned, for all they cared, in to a soldier's joke.
They did not know, as we do now, that though we merit blame
you will your robe of mercy throw 'round our naked shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment