Sunday, June 5, 2016

Of Coffee Shops, Tow Lots, Starlight and Being Alive


Tuesday night, a couple of students cancelled and Zachary happened to be out my direction so we met up at Grahams for a salted carmel mocha, some battle ship and a walk in the beautiful summer evening weather. 



Wednesday, I got to have an overdue dinner with my student Ashley and her family. Her mom made the best enchiladas I have ever had!!


Thursday did not go as planned in any way. What began as a quick trip to Elmhurst for a violin appraisal, ended up with an accident on I-88 in which I lost control of my car, collided with a concrete barrier, was flung back into the path of traffic, spun a complete loop in the middle of the 4 lane highway and then crashed a second time into the concrete barrier, this time perpendicular to the flow of traffic. All because I glanced down for a second. Somehow, in the mercy of God, no other cars where hit, and I walked away with only temporary whiplash. My car, unfortunately, suffered a more traumatic fate, but in the grand scheme of things, this loss seems to pale in comparison with what could have happened, but for the grace of God. I am thankful and sobered and wiser for it. 



Friday, I made dinner for Zachary and I to eat before we went off to Grahams again.





When we got there, that dear, lovely street was warm with people and a live jazz band was playing old standards across the street. With music that happy we couldn't stay inside, so we found an empty parking lot nearby and found our way through a few swing dance steps together. When the band finished, we decided we weren't done dancing so we wandered out to an old stone bridge by the river and danced under the starlight to old tunes until we were tired. Then it was a chapter of C.S. Lewis and a good talk about John 15 until the clock struck too many times and it was time to head home. 





No comments:

Post a Comment